My research is focused on underlying molecular mechanisms, biomarkers for early detection, diagnosis and prediction of response to therapies of sporadic and inherited cancers of digestive organs. I am interested in pathology-integrated molecular testing practices integrating genomic and epigenomic technologies for precision medicine in routine pathology specimens.
Specific areas of ongoing research in my laboratory include:
- Molecular mechanisms and biomarkers of gastric cancer. Role and mechanisms of H. pylori and inflammation in the cancer field defect. Role of gastric stem cells in cancer development and response to therapies.
- Genomic, epigenomic and expression biomarkers of cancers of esophagus, stomach, colon, biliary tract and pancreas, for assessment of cancer risk of pre-cancer tissues in Barrett’s esophagus, inflammatory bowel disease, gastritis, and pre-cancer lesions of pancreas and for personalized cancer treatment.
My laboratory is located at:
630 West 168th Street,
New York, NY 10032
Clinical and Administrative Activities
Vice Chair for Translational Research
Director, Division of Gastrointestinal Pathology
My clinical practice is centered on the pathology diagnosis of digestive, pancreatic and biliary tract diseases with integration of molecular testing for personalized cancer therapies.
1. Del Portillo A, Lagana SM, Yao Y, Uehara T, Jhala N, Ganguly T, Nagy P, Gutierrez J, Luna A, Abrams J, Liu Y, Brand R, Sepulveda JL, Falk GW, Sepulveda AR
. Evaluation of Mutational Testing of Preneoplastic Barrett's Mucosa by Next-Generation Sequencing of Formalin-Fixed, Paraffin-Embedded Endoscopic Samples for Detection of Concurrent Dysplasia and Adenocarcinoma in Barrett's Esophagus. J Mol Diagn
. 2015 May. pii: S1525-1578(15)00081-1. PMID:26068095. Press release June 8 2015.
2. Molecular and histologic considerations in the assessment of serrated polyps. Yang HM, Mitchell JM, Sepulveda JL, Sepulveda AR
. Arch Pathol Lab Med
. 2015 Jun;139(6):730-41. PMID: 26030242. Journal cover.
3. New Insights into the Genetics of Fetal Megacystis: ACTG2 Mutations, Encoding γ-2 Smooth Muscle Actin in Megacystis Microcolon Intestinal Hypoperistalsis Syndrome (Berdon Syndrome). Tuzovic L, Tang S, Miller RS, Rohena L, Shahmirzadi L, Gonzalez K, Li X, LeDuc CA, Guo J, Wilson A, Mills A, Glassberg K, Rotterdam H, Sepulveda AR
, Zeng W, Chung WK, Anyane-Yeboa K. Fetal Diagn Ther
. 2015. PMID: 25998219
4. Lagana S, Hsiao S, Bao F, Sepulveda A
, Moreira R, Lefkowitch J, Remotti H. HepPar-1 and Arginase-1 in small intestinal and ampullary adenocarcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med
. 2015 Jun;139(6):791-5. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2013-0249-OA. PMID: 26030248
5. Zutter MM, Bloom KJ, Cheng L, Hagemann IS, Kaufman JH, Krasinskas AM, Lazar AJ, Leonard DG, Lindeman NI, Moyer AM, Nikiforova MN, Nowak JA, Pfeifer JD, Sepulveda AR
, Willis JE, Yohe SL. The Cancer Genomics Resource List 2014. Arch Pathol Lab Med
. 2014. PMID: 25436904.
6. Uehara, T., Ma, D., Yao, Y., Lynch, J.P., Morales N., Ziober, A., Feldman M., Ota, H., Sepulveda, AR
. H. pylori infection is associated with DNA damage of Lgr5-positive epithelial stem cells in the stomach of patients with gastric cancer. Digestive Diseases and Sciences
. 2013. 58(1):140-149. PMID:22945475. Journal cover.
7. Sepulveda AR
, Yao Y, Yan W, Park DI, Kim JJ, Gooding W, Abudayyeh S, Graham DY. CpG Methylation and Reduced Expression of O6-Methylguanine DNA Methyltransferase is Associated with H. pylori Infection. Gastroenterology
138(5): 1836-44. Books
1. Molecular Pathology of Gastrointestinal Neoplasia Springer, LLC, New York, NY
. Antonia R. Sepulveda and John P. Lynch (eds.). 2013.