Dr. Saqi’s interests include cyto-histological correlations in pulmonary and pancreatico-biliary pathology with a focus in maximizing results, including molecular diagnoses, on small samples.
Dr. Saqi practices both cytopathology and surgical pathology. She is actively involved in teaching residents and conducting clinical research.
1. Salamao M, Remotti H, Allendorf JD, Poneros JM, Sethi A, Gonda TA, Saqi A. Fine-needle aspirations of pancreatic serous cystadenomas: Improving diagnostic yield with cell blocks and alpha-inhibin immunohistochemistry. Cancer Cytopathol. 2013.
2. Saqi A, Coley SM, Crapanzano JP. CT-guided Lung Fine Needle Aspirations, Touch Preparations and Core Biopsies: Role in the Evaluation of Non-Neoplastic Cytological Diagnoses. Accepted for publication in Cytojournal 2013.
3. Crapanzano JP, Heymann JJ, Monaco S, Nasar A, Saqi A. The State of Cell Block Variation and Satisfaction in the Era of Molecular Diagnostics and Personalized Medicine. Accepted for publication in Cytojournal 2013.
4. Crapanzano JP, Saqi A. Pitfalls in pulmonary cytopathology. Diagn Cytopathol. Diagn Cytopathol. 2011 Feb;39(2):144-54.
5. Wagner PL, Hyjek E, Vazquez MF, Meherally D, Liu YF, Chadwick PA, Rengifo T, Sica GL, Port JL, Lee PC, Paul S, Altorki NK, Saqi A. CXCL12 and CXCR4 in adenocarcinoma of the lung: association with metastasis and survival. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009 Mar;137(3):615-21.
6. Wagner PL, Kitabayashi N, Chen YT, Saqi A. Combined small cell lung carcinomas: genotypic and immunophenotypic analysis of the separate morphologic components. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009 Mar;131(3):376-82.
7. Harshan M, Crapanzano JP, Aslan DL, Vazquez MF, Saqi A. Papillary thyroid carcinoma with atypical histiocytoid cells on fine-needle aspiration. Diagn Cytopathol. 2009 Apr;37(4):244-50.
8. Sica G, Wagner PL, Altorki N, Port J, Lee PC, Vazquez MF, Saqi A. Immunohistochemical expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors in primary pulmonary neuroendocrine tumors. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008 Dec;132(12):1889-95.
9. Sica G, Vazquez MF, Altorki N, Port J, Lee PC, Liu Y, Hyjek E, Saqi A. PAX-5 expression in pulmonary neuroendocrine neoplasms: its usefulness in surgical and fine-needle aspiration biopsy specimens. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008 Apr;129(4):556-62.
10. Yun SS, Remotti H, Vazquez MF, Crapanzano JP, Saqi A. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided biopsies of pancreatic masses: comparison between fine needle aspirations and needle core biopsies. Diagn Cytopathol. 2007 May;35(5):276-82.
11. Saqi A, Giorgadze TA, Eleazar J, Remotti F, Vazquez MF. Clear cell and eosinophilic oncocytomas of salivary gland: cytological variants or parallels? Diagn Cytopathol. 2007 Mar;35(3):158-63
Honors and Awards
Faculty Teaching Award(s)
Recipient of funding from Columbia Technology Ventures and Columbia Coulter Translational Partnership
Committees , Council, and Professional Society Memberships
Managed Care Committee; Credentialing Committee; Resident In-Service Exam (RISE) Committee;
Cytology, Lung, Pancreas, Fine Needle Aspiration