Clinically related research activities concerning oral mucosal disease
My research focuses on clinical - pathologic correlation of oral mucosal disease; particularly lichen planus, mucosal pemphigoid, pemphigus vulgaris, candidiasis and epithelial dysplasia. Also, I have recently developed research interests in oral mucosal biopsy techniques, viewed from the perspective of the clinically oriented pathologist who performs such procedures and surgical excision of the specimen and the reading of the specimen microscopically.
1. Pulse CL, Moses MS, Greenman D, Rosenberg SN, Zegarelli DJ. Cherubism: case reports and literature review. Dent Today. 2001 Nov;20(11):100-3.
2. Pulse CL, Lebovics RS, Zegarelli DJ. Necrotizing sialometaplasia: report of a case after lower lip mucocele excision. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2000 Dec;58(12):1419-21.
3. Marder MZ, Cummings DW, Zegarelli DJ, Neuschaefer K, Pulse CL. Squamous cell carcinoma in an American bison (Bison bison bison). Vet Pathol. 2000 Jul;37(4):343-6.
4. Ahmad W, Brancolini V, ul Faiyaz MF, Lam H, ul Haque S, Haider M, Maimon A, Aita VM, Owen J, Brown D, Zegarelli DJ, Ahmad M, Ott J, Christiano AM. A locus for autosomal recessive hypodontia with associated dental anomalies maps to chromosome 16q12.1. Am J Hum Genet. 1998 Apr;62(4):987-91.
5. Sills ES, Zegarelli DJ, Hoschander MM, Strider WE. Clinical diagnosis and management of hormonally responsive oral pregnancy tumor (pyogenic granuloma). J Reprod Med. 1996 Jul;41(7):467-70.
6. Zegarelli DJ, Silvers DN. Shedding oral mucosa. Cutis. 1994 Nov;54(5):323-6.
Committees , Council, and Professional Society Memberships
Junior Class Committee
Secretary, Faculty Committee of the School of Dental and Oral Surgery
lichens planus, candidiasis