Light microscopy and electron microscopy of the liver, including chronic hepatitis, fatty liver disease, biliary tract disorder, HIV-related liver diseases and liver transplantation pathology.
Autopsy Pathology (Attending Pathologist 1980-present; Director: 2011-present).Teaching Activities:
Course Director, 2nd Year Pathology Course
Course Co-Director, 1st Year Basic Pathology Course
Director, 4th Year Pathology Elective
Co-Chairman, 2nd Year Faculty Committee
P&S Club (Student Activities Club) Faculty Advisory Board Member
Admissions Committee, Interviewer
1. Stravitz RT, Lefkowitch JH
, Fontana RJ et al. Autoimmune acute liver failure: proposed clinical and histological criteria. Hepatology 2011; 53: 517-526.
2. Hajdu CH, Lefkowitch JH
. Adult polyglucosan body disease: a rare presentation with chronic liver disease and ground-glass hepatocellular inclusions. Semin Liver Dis 2011; 31: 223-229.
3. Turkish A, Luo JJ, Lefkowitch JH
. Ketamine abuse, biliary tract disease, and secondary sclerosing cholangitis. Hepatology. 2013; 58: 825-7.
4. Verna EC, Abdelmessih R, Salomao MA, Lefkowitch J
, Moreira RK, Brown RS Jr. Cholestatic hepatitis C following liver transplantation: an outcome-based histological definition, clinical predictors, and prognosis. Liver Transpl. 2013; 19: 78-88.
5. Moreira RK, Salomao M, Verna EC, Brown RS Jr, Lefkowitch JH
. The Hepatitis Aggressiveness Score (HAS): a novel classification system for post-liver transplantation recurrent hepatitis C. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013;37: 104-13.
6. Shin JY, Méndez-López I, Wang Y, Hays AP, Tanji K, Lefkowitch JH
, Schulze PC, Worman HJ, Dauer WT. Lamina-associated polypeptide-1 interacts with the muscular dystrophy protein emerin and is essential for skeletal muscle maintenance. Dev Cell 2013; 26: 591-603.
7. Lefkowitch JH
. Scheuer’s Liver Biopsy Interpretation. 8th Ed. Edinburgh: Saunders Elsevier, 2010.
1. Bile ductular proliferative lesions in cirrhosis.
2. Histopathological features in specific causes of acute liver failure.
3. Immunohistochemical staining in the diagnosis of ischemic/hypoperfusion hepatocyte necrosis.
Honors and Awards
1. Columbia University Presidential Teaching Award, 2000
2. Fundamentals Outstanding Teacher Award (2nd Yr. Medical School Class, College of Physicians and Surgeons): 2012, 2013
3. Distinguished Teacheer Award, Graduating Class of College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University: 1983, 1887, 2007
Committees , Council, and Professional Society Memberships
United States-Canadian Academy of Pathology ( Member).
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (Member).